Canada may be one of the easiest countries to enter (and stay) for digital nomads…
Canada is stepping up its game in the digital nomad arena, and while there’s no official Canada digital nomad visa yet, the country’s open-door policy for up to six months is an inviting prospect. With no minimum income threshold and few barriers to entry, Canada is an appealing destination for digital nomads and remote workers.
Furthermore, in July 2023 the Canadian Government announced the Digital Nomad Scheme to attract international talent, especially in the tech sector. While official details and an implementation date have yet to be determined, this scheme would allow digital nomads who are offered employment by a Canadian company the opportunity to apply for a temporary stay permit and extend their time in Canada. But until more information is disclosed, the amazing six month visa is the best long-term option for nomads.
Canada Digital Nomad Visa: Overview
Visa Name: Canada Digital Nomad Visa (no official name)
Visa Duration: Up to 6 months
- Allows digital nomads to live and work in Canada while employed by a company outside of Canada.
- No strict salary requirements, opening the opportunity to a broader range of professionals.
- Provides a pathway to experience Canada’s high quality of life and diverse culture.
- Opportunity to explore extending the stay beyond the initial six months.
Eligibility & Criteria to Apply
Eligibility for Canada’s digital nomad visa is open to individuals who:
This initiative is particularly attractive for those in the tech industry, although it is open to qualified remote workers from various sectors.
How to Apply for the Canada Digital Nomad Visa?
Here’s a step-by-step guide to applying for Canada’s six-month digital nomad visa:
- Check Eligibility: Ensure that you meet the criteria for remote work in Canada as outlined by Canadian immigration policies.
- Gather Documentation: Prepare the necessary documents, including proof of employment with a non-Canadian company and evidence of your remote work arrangement.
- Apply for Visitor Status: While there is no formal ‘digital nomad visa,’ you can apply for visitor status, which allows you to stay and work remotely in Canada. Start your application on the official Canadian government website.
- Application Price/Cost: The cost will vary based on your individual circumstances from $100-$500 CAD ($73-$365 USD). An $85 AUD ($62 USD) biometrics fee is also required.
- Timeline to Process: The Canada Digital Nomad Visa takes approximately 0-2 months to process.
Image credit: Unsplash
What Documents Are Required for the Application?
Need Help? Our Recommended Visa Agents
The process of applying for Canada’s digital nomad visa, while straightforward, can sometimes present challenges. If you’re looking for assistance, our selected visa agents can provide the support you need:
iVisa: iVisa is known for their efficient processing and easy-to-use platform, making them a great option for those who value convenience.
RushMyTravelVisa: For quick and reliable visa processing, RushMyTravelVisa offers expedited services that can help you get to Canada without the wait.
Financial Requirements: Applicants must show evidence of financial stability, such as bank statements or pay stubs, to ensure they can sustain their stay in Canada.
Health Insurance and Medical Requirements: Valid health insurance that covers the entire duration of the stay in Canada is essential.
Other Requirements: It’s important to adhere to the rules governing the length of stay in Canada and to understand the terms under which extensions can be granted.
Image credit: Unsplash